Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beer Destination Feature: Atlanta, GA

Georgia is definitely a beer rich state and continues to grow in terms of breweries and distribution. With so many famed destinations, up and coming breweries, and beer bars; it was about time to get out of the burbs and go explore ATL.  Having frequented Greens' so many times over the years, I figured we should check out downtown Atlanta's famed beer store; Hop City. Located conveniently next to one of the 5 Seasons locations, this shop was definitely worth the trip downtown. Between the huge European selection, growler fill station, and freedom to separate sixers to make your own six-pack, I can see why this is a favorite of ATL beer geeks. Despite the great selection, I had a hard time picking something out because of my trips to Green's a few days prior. Oddly enough, the majority of beers that I walked away with were from Scandinavia...it's always mind blowing to see the beers that get exported and are readily available in the states but are impossible to find in Europe!

Brewed by De Molen for the brother of Mikkel from Mikkeller and named after a Placebo song...definitely the highlight find from HopCity!

As far as beer bars go, as usual I did my research and decided on two that were must visits. For those of you that know Atlanta, the first choice is pretty obvious. With fame comes a crowd and if you don't mind one, the award winning Brickstore Pub is a must visit. Walking into this old brick building you are welcomed into a boisterous atmosphere that's a hybrid of Belgian and German beer culture. There are two bars in this multi-level beer haven, the downstairs is the American Craft selection, and the upstairs, also known as the "Belgian Bar" has an eclectic mix of European beers. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me but I enjoyed several great beers including a Double IPA from Norway, an oaked version of Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster, and for dessert a delicious pint of Founder's Breakfast Stout. The food was pretty solid as well, I opted for my usual stateside favorite; Pastrami on Rye with Mustard. All in all, this place deserves it's reputation, hope to make it back sooner than later!

I'm not sure how long this next pub has been around but I really wish I had heard about it sooner. Located in the Little Five Points neighborhood, the Porter Beer Bar has a killer, constantly rotating tap selection. I've heard it can hold quite a crowd as well in the evenings but fortunately enough we were there mid-afternoon and enjoyed the picnic table patio area that sits you right on an eclectic little street reminiscent of Tucson's 4th Ave.

The Porter Beer Bar

While perusing the extensive beer menu, I noticed a couple of beers that I knew I needed to try. The only problem was that I also knew there was no way I would be able to drink a full pour of Mikkeller's White Wine Barrel Black and a sour Barleywine colab of Terrapin & BFM. Our server was gracious enough to offer me a small pour of each which was more than enough. The next time we are in the ATL area, I will definitely be checking out the website to see what's going on!

Left to Right: Mikkeller Black Hole White Wine * Terrapin/BFM Barleywine.

Last but not least, and definitely the highlight of our ATL exploration, the Wrecking Bar Brewpub is conveniently located down the street from the Porter Bar in a historic Plantation home. Established just months ago, they are off to a running start and are brewing some killer beers in their first year in operation. Our server, a home-brewer and fellow beer geek, was more than happy to talk beer with us and even gave us a sample of his home-brew (there was a homebrewers meeting going on this particular evening in one of the dining rooms). My favorites were their IPAs one of which was deemed a German Style IPA and the other being a solid West Coast style IPA. The beer was fresh, balanced, and full of character which is a sign of great knowledge and ability.

Das Hopfen IPA served in a miniature pint.

Just prior to heading out, I asked if it would be possible to get a quick tour of the brewery. Sure enough, the head-brewer was just finishing up the home-brew meeting and was more than happy to show us around. We learned about their up and coming Barrel Aging program, the history of the building, and had a nice chat about traveling and brewing. I am looking forward to seeing the progression of this brewery and have no doubt in the following years they will be a force to be reckoned with in the American Craft brewing scene!

The brewery setup with plenty of room to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment